Friday, September 25, 2009

Half the fun of art is sharin’ the experience…

I used to enjoy drawing as a kid.  My mom even bought me a little oil paint set and some canvas boards.  I’m sure somewhere in her garage are some little paintings of mountains, trees…oh and for some reason I painted a little red outhouse.  I remember that one because I think that was my “masterpiece” at the time.
Somewhere along the way though, I just stopped drawing and painting.  I was 13 or 14.  I dunno…maybe girls and cars became more interesting to me at the time, but for whatever reason I just stopped drawing and painting.  That’s the way it was for 25+ years.   Funny thing is though…in the back of my mind I kept reminding myself how much I would really like to learn to oil paint.

Here about a year ago, I had a real “DUH!” kind of moment.  I’m grown up, I’ve got my own money, why not just buy some painting supplies and go for it?!  Well, that’s what did and I’ve been havin’ a ball ever since.   I bought a little pencil set first and started drawing.  I found some old Guitar oil pastels that my mom hardly used.  I thought those were fun so I bought a 90 color Art Aspire oil pastel set.  Then I found a great book on oil painting so I picked up some paints based on the pallet this author used.  Oh and even picked up nice plein aire easel using a gift certificate from my work.  Along the way I’ve also played with a few water colors and some soft pastels, too.

So as the title of this posts says, half the fun of art is sharin’ the experience and that’s what this blog is all about…right from the start.  I hope folks will enjoy my art and get a kick out of my mistakes.  I still have a hard time considering myself an artist…maybe that’ll change after I frame my first painting…who knows!  But in the meantime, feel free to look, comment, and even criteque what you see.
Thanks for lookin’!

No comments:

Post a Comment