Sunday, February 20, 2011

Granite - Finished

Finished my granite painting.  Mostly just a few touch ups, highlighting some greens, adding in some flowers flowers, and adding a little more color to the granite as it really was rather colorful with some of the stains from years of wind and rain.  Re-added some of the speckles by just flicking my brush with a little dark brown and a lot of medium. 

So how do a store my left over paints?  I've tried a few things, but what seems to work the best for me and it dirt cheap is just to scrape my colors off my palette and lay them down on a styrafoam plate.  I take another styrafoam plate and place it over the one with the paints upside down and tape them together.   Then I toss this in the freezer.  Keeps my paints for a good week or two.  That big mess of paint is all the mixed paints after a painting session.  Makes for some nice grays.  Anyhow, I got that idea from another painter online somewhere, but I don't recall where.  Twas a good tip!!


2 comments:

  1. I can't remember where I read this trick, but put a drop of oil of clove in a small open container on your palette, then close it up. I can leave my palette out for weeks and my oils don't dry out. Oil of clove can be found in the drug store in tooth ache kits or I bought a bottle at Limbo, by Trader Joes on 39th St in SE Portland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks for the tip. I've never heard that one, but I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete