Monday, August 15, 2011

Thomas Kitts Plein Air Workshop - Day 1

Whew!  What a day!  Tiring, but in a good way.  Joined up with a gang of about eight folks out on Sauvie Island.  Started the morning off at Bybee park (I think that's what the place was called).  Thomas went over materials and some color basics.  Thomas answered a lot of great questions and picked up a few new terms I hadn't heard before like "sinking-in".  Good discussion on the usage of various mediums.

Then off to the wildlife refuge at the west end of the island for a painting demo by Thomas.  He demoed while we ate lunch.  He did a fantastic job explaining his decision making processes as he painted, he pointed out trouble spots and what to do about them, the importance of transition colors, and much more.  He was up-staged a couple of times by a couple of Blue Herons duking it out in the background ;-)

Finally, he turned us loose to paint.  It was interesting to see the group spread out and the various things that caught each individual's eye.  I found a composition I liked and painted for about 3 hours.  While we painted Thomas went around and spent some good quality one-on-one time with each of us.  That was probably my favorite part and where I learned the most.  So here's a few pics before bed.  Headin' out to a Luscher Farm City Park for tomorrow's workshop!

Thomas Kitts Demo
My setup on location


Just a few of my fellow painters

No comments:

Post a Comment